XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:38:02 CEST 2011

On 08/24/2011 08:59 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mer., 2011-08-24 at 08:24 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>> On 08/24/2011 12:22 AM, Dennis Gutowski wrote:
>>> I have added my two cents to the ubuntu forums. This bug, according to the
>>> Ubuntu people, is a bug with XFCE 4.8.0, and is solved with XFCE 4.8.2, but
>>> according to them that somehow causes another bug, so they currently won't
>>> make the switch.
>>
>> I have now seen this issue in Debian testing running Xfce 4.8.0. I can't
>> duplicate it reliably, and it seems to happen with less frequency here.
>> I believe you said that you see this most of the time. I'd say that
>> about 1 time in 10 tries to shut down or restart I get a dialog that
>> says that I don't have permission to halt the system while other users
>> are logged in. It's funny that I started seeing it after I discussed it
>> with you. At any rate, no matter whether I hit cancel or quit on that
>> dialog, I'm logged out, and can then shut down or restart from the login
>> screen.
>
> There's no such thing as Xfce 4.8.2, each component has independant
> versioning and afaict testing is fully up to date.
>
> Regards,

Yes, I believe I had read that the next version of Xfce is to be 4.10. I
wonder if whoever told Denny about the alleged bugs in 4.8.0 and "4.8.2"
was confused -- perhaps referring to 4.8.0.2??? -- as in the version of
the Xfce metapackage listed by aptitude in Debian testing? Who knows.
Denny didn't say whether or not this was the authoritative Ubuntu or
just somebody with an opinion over at the Ubuntu forums.

What I'm seeing on these occasions at shutdown / reboot time isn't
really anything I'd call a bug. It's something I'd expect to see on any
system that I'm rushing to shut down or reboot when I've been running a
bunch of processes that haven't had time yet to finish. I'll try to pay
attention (just for my own edification) to see if it ever happens on a
system that has had all application software and utilities properly
closed down and given a bit of time to idle.

Regards,
Gilbert