XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:24:31 CEST 2011

On 08/24/2011 12:22 AM, Dennis Gutowski wrote:
> I have added my two cents to the ubuntu forums. This bug, according to the
> Ubuntu people, is a bug with XFCE 4.8.0, and is solved with XFCE 4.8.2, but
> according to them that somehow causes another bug, so they currently won't
> make the switch.

I have now seen this issue in Debian testing running Xfce 4.8.0. I can't
duplicate it reliably, and it seems to happen with less frequency here.
I believe you said that you see this most of the time. I'd say that
about 1 time in 10 tries to shut down or restart I get a dialog that
says that I don't have permission to halt the system while other users
are logged in. It's funny that I started seeing it after I discussed it
with you. At any rate, no matter whether I hit cancel or quit on that
dialog, I'm logged out, and can then shut down or restart from the login
screen.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot it, and may not bother because it's
so easy to deal with.

> I agree with them that, if this is the case, swapping one bug for another
> isn't really a solution.

I'd be willing to bet that's true. Whether this is an issue with Xfce or
some other component of the system, it only constitutes a minor
inconvenience. I'd rather have a nice, well-behaved little bug than some
sneaky little gremlin that bites me when I'm not looking.

> So I will just be patient, and still quite happy to use XFCE.

The Xfce desktop environment certainly suits me. They should call it
Goldilocks, because it's "just right".

;-)