XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 14:52:14 CEST 2011

On 08/23/2011 08:01 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> (this is becoming off-topic here)
>
> On lun., 2011-08-22 at 18:57 -0400, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>> However, on all of the older installations (Debian testing installed
>> with xdm as the default DM) aptitude wanted to remove task-xfce-desktop
>> when I removed xdm. I let it do so -- since it didn't want to actually
>> remove any of the Xfce components, but I'd be a little happier if
>> aptitude's audit/recommendations dialog wasn't suggesting that I install
>> task-gnome-desktop, task-kde-desktop, task-lxde-desktop, or
>> task-xfce-desktop. It's not that this is a problem, per se, but I'm
>> concerned that the package manager might do something screwy later on
>> with respect to the metapackage and its "dependencies". As it is,
>> aptitude still won't let me install task-xfce-desktop without pulling
>> xdm into the mix.
>
> Afaict you can safely remove the task-xfce-desktop. It's just a
> metapackage to install what the installer install for the Xfce task. I
> (as a Debian/Xfce maintainer) barely touch that, I mostly use
> xfce4/xfce4-goodies dependencies.

Yes, thank you. The systems are working just fine without
task-xfce-desktop. I just didn't want any surprises (from aptitude) down
the road. But at least it's interactive interface warns you before it
does weird stuff.

>> I think it's odd that the Debian testing package managers went with xdm
>> as the default DM for Xfce when lightdm works so beautifully (and when
>> xdm works so badly).
>
> They added it when gdm2 was dropped and lightdm not yet uploaded. I've
> just changed that in tasksel, but it'll have to wait until the package
> is uploaded and migrate to testing.

Aha! I wasn't aware that lightdm had only recently been added. That
would explain why I didn't find it when I went spelunking in the
repositories for a replacement DM for gdm / xdm.

Dang, I love it when things work out! I'm much beholden to you for your
efforts. This combination of lightdm and Xfce is very nice to use.

Best regards,
Gilbert