XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 13:39:49 CEST 2011

On 08/22/2011 08:39 PM, Denny wrote:
> Let me tell you that sometimes, although not often, it will actually
> complete the action I request.
> Most of the time though it does not.

Oh wow! I really DO owe you an apology. I just realized that I had
ASSumed you were seeing the same thing I was seeing -- namely that all
button options on the logout dialog were inactive (grayed out).

If I properly get what you're saying now, you mean that the Log Out
dialog is presented with all options active, and that clicking on any of
the buttons other than Log Out is likely to result in nothing happening?
I don't think that sounds like a permissions problem.

If this happened to me, I'd check for the easy things first -- since I'm
not knowledgeable enough to do much of anything else.

;-)

AFAIK a properly configured system will not shut down or reboot (without
being forced) unless all drives can be unmounted. And I'm sure that
there are other active processes which could block a halt or restart,
too. I'm think, for instance, that the system might think another user
is logged on -- or that it is acting as though your currently logged on
account belongs to a different user than the one who is requesting
shutdown / reboot. That would stop you from halting or restarting from
that prompt, but then -- once your account was logged off -- you'd be
able to perform the action.

Again, my apologies for wandering off down my own road. I thought, at
first, that we might have had the same problem.

Regards,
Gilbert