XFCE 4.8.0 logs out instead of shutting down

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 14:03:15 CEST 2011

On 08/22/2011 03:13 AM, Jérôme Guelfucci wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM, Mike Massonnet<mmassonnet at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2011/8/22 Dennis Gutowski<dennygoot at gmail.com>:
>>> Whenever I hit the shut down button on the top right, instead of shutting
>>> down, it logs me out.
>>>
>>> I can then shut down from the login screen.
>>>
>>> How do i solve this error?
>>
>> This most probably means xfce4-session wasn't actually able to perform
>> the action, because of a restriction for a given permission.
>>
>> AFAICT there exists two ways to shutdown, with sudo otherwise with hal.
>>
>> You should take a look at the output of xfce4-session (perhaps its all
>> stored in .xsession-errors).
>>
>> Kind Regards
>> --
>> Mike
>
> This most probably means you have xfdesktop 4.8.0. Updating to the
> latest version should fix this issue.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jérôme

I'm not sure this is related directly, but in Debian testing GDM became
obsolete. Nowadays new installations of Debian testing with Xfce use
XDM. That results in being able to only log out (no poweroff or reboot)
with a standard account. I used visudo to grant permissions to use the
scripts to regular users and created launchers for them so that they
could shut down and restart in a more-or-less familiar manner. I'm not
sure what the Debian maintainers of Xfce are planning, but using GDM3 is
for the birds. It drags a ton of dependencies and does a fair job of
breaking Xfce right now -- unless I'm very careful. I wound up
re-installing a test system after experimenting with GDM3.

I also tried SLiM on a test system, and it worked pretty well with Xfce
(and is prettier than XDM), but I ran into a few little problems and
decided to stick with what Debian testing is installing as the default
DM these days -- at least until the dust settles down a bit.

Regards,
Gilbert