Linus Torvalds Says Gnome 3 is Crazy and Goes for Xfce!

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 08:45:10 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Danishka Navin <danishka at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://bit.ly/pmbzVh

That's a nice endorsement! (Here's the original post on Google+ [1].)

One thing that I cannot understand is why people complain that Xfce is
inferior to Gnome 2 or, as Linus said, "it's a step down from gnome2"?
Ever since 4.6 I couldn't think of any area in particular where Gnome
2 was superior to Xfce: Xfce comes as a result of a sound philosophy,
is enormously flexible and rock-solid, meaning that the DE layout can
easily be re-arranged to mimic that of Gnome 2 (for those who actually
like it), while xfwm4 is as good as any WM will ever me and can be
substituted to any product that one prefers, not to mention that Xfce
is the result of a genuine open-source project with chronically
lacking manpower and without any big corporations behind it. As for
Gnome 2 apps that one cannot live without, one can always simply go
ahead and use them in Xfce.

So, what perceived flaws of Xfce when compared to Gnome 2? Regards
Liviu

[1] https://plus.google.com/106327083461132854143/posts/SbnL3KaVRtM