Assigning an panel icon to a program

Morten Bo Johansen mbj at spamcop.net
Fri Apr 15 12:40:53 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am sure this is very simple, but somehow I cannot figure out how to
assign an icon to a (self-compiled) program so that this icon shows up in
the panel when the program is running. Currently when I run my editor,
Xjed, it is represented by a generic terminal icon in the panel. I have
tried copying the xjed.xpm into /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/* and then
run gtk-update-icon-cache on that directory. It seems to have the effect
of assigning the icon to xjed when I work with Thunar and choose e.g. the
"Properties" -> "Open (file) with" dialog. Then the icon shows next to
the program name. But it does not show up in the panel?

Thanks,

Morten