XFCE with same /home and different distris

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Sep 28 00:40:35 CEST 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 04:54:20PM +0200, Al Bogner wrote:
> I have installed Opensuse 11.2 and 11.3 on the same netbook with the
> same /home. Does this lead to conflicts?

The best person to comment on that would be you. ;-)

> I use the dedicated xfce-repos
> and not the standard-repo of the distri for xfce:

Not sure what you mean by that.

> These are the differences (if 2 lines):
>
> gtk-xfce-engine-2.6.0-7.1.i586
> gtk-xfce-engine-2.6.0-7.2.i586

These are extremely minor differences. What you could do is download the
source and do a diff. Most likely very minor changes.
As far as I can tell, the XFCE numer is 2.6.0. The 7.1 and 7.2 are
openSUSE build numbers. So it looks as if they used the same version and
just did and did an extra build to buil dit for 11.3
<snip a lot of other minor version number differences>

Even if there are larger numbers, what XFCE is looking for in $HOME will
be some standard parameters, like what city you use for the weather. As
long as programs use these files in the same way, there should not be an
issue.

So my guestimate is that there should not be an issue. If there is, the
directories that will be affected are $HOME/.config and $HOME/.local

So to be 100% sure, first install dirdiff, then copy the two above
directories to somewhere outside $HOME. Boot into the other distro and do
a dirdiff of .config vs the copy as well as with .local.

See what differences there are and take action on that. Again just
guessing here, but I am sure there will be no issues. And again, you will
be the best person to find out if I am right. As you will have backups,
putting things back is not a problem. (You do have backups of $HOME,
right?)

houghi
--
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done,
and why. Then do it.