How do edit/add items/folders to the start menu?

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Sep 8 05:10:22 CEST 2010

On 09/07/2010 03:20 AM, Chris G wrote:

> The trouble is that all of the above assumes that everyone wants the
> default setup.  What if I want to add an applicaation that isn't
> distributed as an xfce/xubuntu package and doesn't add itself to the
> menus? These are not all that rare, in many cases they are tiny little
> utilities developed to do a particular job and don't merit the
> development overhead of doing all the menu stuff.
>
> Adding a .desktop file is a rather 'uncomfortable' way of doing it for
> the average user.

of course it's uncomfortable: (no sarcasm intended here) it requires the
use of a text editor, root privileges, knowledge of a freedesktop.org
spec etc.

If you have to do it once, by all means make a manual entry.

If you have to do it twice, or two people would do this, ...

If three people would make their own .desktop file for the same program,
obviously, the best thing would be to contribute the file to the
upstream project and share the desktop file, hands down.

Now, there are alternatives - one simple one is right-clicking the
desktop and selecting "create launcher"...

Cheers,

Auke