How do edit/add items/folders to the start menu?

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Sep 7 05:52:38 CEST 2010

On 09/06/2010 06:30 PM, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In 4.6.2, how do I edit and/or add items and folders to the start menu? Is
> there some tool like gnome's "alacarte" menu editor?

FAQ item, answered in the ML FAQ, quote:

===
+ How do I edit the system application menu?

The menu is partially autogenerated by xfdesktop. If you want to just
delete or add one or two applications, add the proper .desktop file
(usually in /usr/share/applications). With the xfce4-menueditor, you can
completely customize the menu.
===

> Also (need both answered as GUI tools always leave things off), where
> do I go to manually edit these items?

the idea is that you should never have to edit them. If you do, there
are only these options:

1) edit the files (as root) in /usr/share/applications directly. Please
note that the next time that you upgrade a package that installs one of
these files, your changes are probably lost. Also, if there is an error
in these files here, you probably should just file a bugreport upstream
or send the package maintainer a patch with the fix.

2) make an "overlay" desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications/ with
the same filename and your modifications here. In case the package that
provided the original desktop file has useful changes for you, you won't
get them, and you're better off doing the upstream-patch/bugreport
method in 1).

3) not use automatic menu's and use a manual menu editor. You'll lose
all the goodies from using the autogenerated menus. You're better off
doing the method at 1).

4) If there's apps missing, consider making a new one and doing the
upstream submission method described in 1).

Cheers,

Auke