How to set environment variables for X session? [Was Re: Any idea why starting evolution...]

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Oct 26 10:46:25 CEST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 08:34:16PM +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On lun., 2010-10-25 at 11:37 +0100, Chris G wrote:
> >
> >     My original problem of evolution being slow to start seems to be
> >     related to DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS being set, when it's set
> >     evolution tries (and fails) to get something from DBUS whereas when
> >     it's not set evolution starts up without problems.
>
> Well, I guess that's because it's set to a “wrong” address. Evolution
> tries to contact dbus and timeouts.

Yes, I suppose so, however even if I do a new dbus-launch, set the
environment variable DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and then run evolution all
one after the other I *still* get a 30 second wait for evolution to
start.  I.e. it seems impossible for me to create a valid, working
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS (or at least one that evolution likes).

--
Chris Green