Cut-and-Paste Buffer Disappearing

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Sat Oct 23 11:41:36 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:34:16AM +0200, Mike Massonnet wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> 2010/10/22 Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>:
> >  I just upgraded my server/workstation to Slackware-13.0 with Xfce-4.6.1.
> > After X has been running a while the mouse cut-and-paste buffer quits. I
> > need to kill X and restart it to regain this capability. Happened once
> > yesterday and twice (so far) today. This has not happened before and I've
> > been running xfce since 1997 or so.
> >
> >  Because I use this copying ability hundreds of times each day I need to
> > find the source of the problem and fix it. Your help will is greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Xorg always behaved the same with respect to the clipboard. Once the
> text selected from one application is closed, the text selection is
> lost as well. You need to run a clipboard manager if you wish to keep
> your text selections intact after closing applications. This counts
> for both mouse selections and manual text copies (ctrl+c).

It's always seemed to me to be random, sometimes if I select some text
in application A, close application A and then paste it in B, it works.
Other times it doesn't work.

Thinking about it I suppose it may well be that I'm forgetting that if
application A is running in a terminal window it's the terminal that's
retaining the clipboard text.

That would explain a lot!  :-)

> You can try out xfce4-clipman-plugin that comes with such a manager.
>
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rich
>
> Kind Regards
> --