Terminal -x question

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Oct 19 16:09:43 CEST 2010

I am trying to get logging in the backhround OK. I already tried
root-tail, but that does not work as I change the background every minute
with `xfdesktop --reload` and that will remove the root-tail display.
So not an option for me. :-(

So I run the following:
terminal --geometry=86x79-7+7 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T Terminal.below

This will get me the terminal I want (and with Devilspie also how I want
it, hence the -T option)

I then do the command:
sudo /usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages | grep --color root

This works, but I wanted to get it all in one command:
terminal --geometry=86x79-7+7 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T \
Terminal.below -x sudo /usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages | grep \
--color root

That does not do the part after the pipe. I am able to put the whole
comand in a seperate script tt and then do :
terminal --geometry=86x79-7+7 --hide-menubar --hide-borders -T \
Terminal.below -x $HOME/bin/tt

However that is a bit messy to have two scripts for one task. Is there a
way I could do this properly?

houghi