Xfce Foundation status

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Sun Oct 17 11:18:02 CEST 2010

Am Samstag, den 16.10.2010, 18:00 +0200 schrieb Jannis Pohlmann:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 17:40:13 +0200
> Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 15:31:39 +0200
> > Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de> wrote:

> > > Naming the e.V. "Xfce Foundation" results in not being able to
> > > raise a foundation for Xfce that would be named "Foundation".
> >
> > I seriously doubt that anyone would ever want to create a SECOND
> > non-profit organization for the same purpose. So this argument is
> > irrelevant.

Two things:
1) The Xfce * e.V ist not meant as a foundation from my understanding of
the discussion.
2) Why can you argue that noone would want to raise a real foundation
dedicted to Xfce? Already among this discussion here have been
statements that people wanted to donate.
Maybe the entire document/discussion is unclear and one should try to
make Xfce * e.V. also a real foundation by the whole concept. Then
naming it this way would be very fine.

But from the current scenario:
Possible employer: "So what did you do ion you spare time?"
Jannis: "I created the Xfce Foundation"
PE: "Nice. So who donates?"
J: "Oh, it actually isn't a foundation..."
PE: "Then why do you name it this way?"
J: "..."
PE: "OK, you mix up too much of semantics, meanings, legal stuff. ;this
isn't useful for us. Next, please."

So really you make yourself and Xfce ridiculous by having a foundation
that isn't one (by concept until now).

I am however not saying that the foundations are ridiculous, but they
make themselves ridiculous in industry (and also academia) by having
improper namings that say the wrong about the organization.