History (Was: Xfce Foundation status)

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat Oct 16 12:06:27 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:05:45AM +0200, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
> <mihamina at gulfsat.mg> wrote:
> >> landronimirc at gmail.com :
> >> the absence of desktop icons.
> >
> > My desktop really looked clean these old-times :-)
> >
> Can still look clean now. ;) Right-click > Settings > Icons > None.
>
> Personally I don't make much use of desktop icons, but it's somehow
> psychologically assuring to know that they're there, either when in
> need to quickly put something somewhere or to easily access
> home/trash.

I never understood the use of desktop icons. Right where the program is
that I use are the icons, so I need to move the program so I can open
another one. Weird in my point of view, especially as there are other ways
to start programs.
Also Linux has the ability to run multiple desktops and a running program
does not consume that much resources if it doesn't do anything. So here is
what I do:

1) See that the programs I need frequently are launched when I log in.
They are placed on the desired desktop on the right screen. (Somehow Vuze
won't work, all the rest does)
2) Have several 'start buttons' with selected programs grouped per
subject. For now I have three of those buttons. Just add extra programs to
the Launcher and you are done.
3) For very often used programs (4 of them) have a seperate launcher.
4) For all the rest I can launch the main menu or right click.

On a 10" portable I have those buttons on a seperate taskbar that
autohides.

What would be nice (perhaps even possible) would be an option to have the
Launcher expand if there is more then one item in the Launcher. Sort of
'expand on mouse over' as it where.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: