external monitor

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Thu Oct 14 14:25:29 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 01:15:02PM +0200, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> Jönne Speck <jspeck at runbox.com> was heard to say:
>
> >When I've plugged in an external monitor to my laptop running xfce
> >how do I enable it, adjust its resolution, and switch off my
> >laptop screen?
>
> Afaik XFCE does not have GUI support for this, but X has a
> command-line interface to the RandR extension which handles such
> things these days. See
>
> http://www.x.org/archive/current/doc/man/man1/xrandr.1.html

I use krandrtray with my openSUSE 11.3. It is a KDE apllet, but works.
If you have some things running GNOME you could use gnome-display-properties.

As I run XGCE, LXDE, KDE, GNOME and any other type I have no problems in
running non-XFCE things. That does not mean that a native GUI solution
would be nice, especially as portables with an extra screen are pretty
common.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: