Xfce Foundation status

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Thu Oct 14 14:30:21 CEST 2010

Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> was heard to say:

> I agree, a Stiftung is very different from a Verein (e.g. it has no
> members). However, the word "foundation" seems to be widely used for
> this type of non-profit organization all around the world. Technically,
> the GNOME Foundation is not a foundation either, it's a "non-profit
> public benefit coporation".

If it ain't a foundation, then don't call it a foundation :-) I don't
think it is a good idea to abuse a clear-cut legal term just because
it sounds cool and because there is some precedent that others have
made that mistake too. As far as I understand you want to launch an
e.V. to further the development and propagation of Xfce. This does not
sound like a foundation which owns and/or collects money to support a
variety of projects. To me this rather looks like a group of
individuals which agree to follow a particular goal and need a legal
form to do so. This makes the whole effort an association, most likely
a non-profit one. Therefore I'd suggest Xfce Association e.V.

just my 2cc

Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka