Xfce Foundation status

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 22:04:50 CEST 2010

Hello

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>  * Do you think all this makes sense?

Yes, a lot. It's some time already that I wanted to donate something to Xfce.

>  * Does a German e.V. (which is a non-profit organization registered
>    in Germany) sound like a reasonable type of organization for Xfce?

Without being familiar with the details, yes.

>  * Would you prefer "Xfce e.V." or "Xfce Foundation e.V." to be the
>    name of the organization?

Personally I prefer "Xfce Foundation e.V.". I think it's in vogue with
open-source projects.

>  * For how many years do you think the board should be elected?
>    3, 2 or 1?

Two years sounds fine. One would be too short, I think.

>  * There is one clause about where the raised money should go in case
>    the e.V. is abandoned. The KDE people have decided to forward all
>    their money to UNESCO. I have come up with a few alternatives.
>    Which of the following organizations would you prefer the money to
>    be handed over to in case the e.V. is closed?
>
>      UNESCO, Amnesty International, Greenpeace, WWF or OLPC?

UNESCO.

>    You can of course make your own suggestions if you want to.
>
> Please help us by answering the questions. If this makes sense for most
> of you and the questions are answered, I'll proceed in finishing the
> paperwork.
>
> The founding process itself involves a formal meeting in real life
> with at least 7 persons attending. As it seems unrealistic to organize
> such a meeting with Xfce-only people from all around the world before
> the end of the year, I propose that I organize this meeting in
> Lübeck, gathering a few local Xfce users or friends. During this
> meeting they would sign a resolution that says the board of directors
> will be re-elected shortly after the e.V. has been registered. In this
> re-election we can then establish people more deeply involved in Xfce
> as board members. (And we would of course decide not to take money from
> e.V. members, so anyone can become part of the whole thing.)
>
> How does all this sound to you people?

I think it would be great if Xfce started to get more backing and
attention. It's a wonderful project, and this would confirm the
software-level progress achieved in the last couple of years. When I
first tried Xfce, 4.2 I think, it was half usable, resembling Fluxbox
more than Gnome. Now I see it as a full-fledged, mostly feature
complete and very flexible environment, which is great.

Best regards
Liviu