keyboard layout switcher problem

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Wed Nov 17 00:54:32 CET 2010

Hi,

I've just setup Xfce on a new laptop, and most things work as they do
on my other boxes. However, I ran into a problem with the keyboard
layout switcher which I use on all boxes to toggle between us and de
layouts. I don't see any obvious differences to the setup on the other
boxes, but on the new box clicking on the layout switcher plugin does
nothing. It is set up to use us as the default layout, and it displays
the US flag appropriately. However, I can switch the layout using the shift+ctrl key
combo. This will make the de layout effective, but the plugin shows
the string "(null)" instead of the appropriate flag. The same thing
happens if I ask the plugin to display a text string instead of the
flag image. My xorg.conf keyboard setup is appended below.

Do I miss some Xfce components on that new laptop that I installed on
the others?

Any help is appreciated.

regards,
Markus

FreeBSD wombat.mininet 8.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 13 20:29:49 CET 2010     root at wombat.mininet:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WOMBAT  amd64

Xfce version 4.6.2 (FreeBSD port xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.4.3_12)

/etc/X11/xorg.conf (extract):
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,de"
        Option      "XkbOptions" "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
        Option      "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

--
Markus Hoenicka