Startup Very Slow

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 18:41:59 CET 2010

Hello

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  Since the upgrade to Slackware-13.1 xfce4 is very slow to re-establish the
> saved session. The backdrop and panel comes up as quickly as ever, but the
> contents of the virtual desktops (a couple with two virtual terminals each,
> alpine, firefox, and jpilot) take 30-60 seconds to appear when they used to
> pop right up.
>
>  I've searched on Google and read a number of threads where others have had
> the same problem. Here, I do not start KDE or Gnome services, bluetooth, or
> other tools that were the cause of slow loading by others. I've gone through
> each item on the settings menu without seeing anything obvious that would
> cause application loading to slow so drastically.

If you're using 4.6.x, my best guess would be this [1]. As time passed
I (reluctantly) decided to simply stop saving my Xfce session (after
having cleared the cache).
[1] http://readlist.com/lists/xfce.org/xfce/1/9090.html

>  Please suggest other places I could look for this reason.
>
>  Also, because this server/workstation is on all the time I'd like to turn
> off the power manager but have not found were to do this.

If it's xfce4-pm, try disabling it in Settings > Session > Autostart.

Regards
Liviu