Restrict LOG OFF and Wallpaper in Xubuntu 9.10

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 26 02:22:05 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM, UDC <udc at campus.iztacala.unam.mx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have many PC's with Xubuntu 9.10 for public use in a library and I want to
> restrict the option of QUIT, LOG OFF, SLEEP ETC. and also i want the
> wallpaper to recharge constantly to keep changing it, could someone tell me
> if it is possible and how can I do? Thanks in advance
>

> Luis Alfonso Vilchis Romero
>
> Unidad de Documentación Científica
>
> UNAM. FES Iztacala
>
> Tel. 56231320

Hi,
   I posted a solution to this sort of problem a couple of months
back. It's not elegant, but it works.

   I have some machines that run MythTV's frontend. If the user exits
Myth back to the command line I wanted the frontend to restart. I use
this to start some mythtv frontends each time they boot. No login,
they just come up running MythTV. If you exit Myth without the
shutdown option then they restart Myth.

In /etc/inittab

# TERMINALS
#c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1 linux
c1:12345:respawn:/bin/su mythtv -c startx
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty6 linux

and then inside the .xinitrc file (because I used startx above) in the
mythtv home directory:

myth12 mythtv # cat .xinitrc
# .xinitrc
exec /usr/bin/mythfrontend
myth12 mythtv #

   Works like a charm and the restart is immediate. No waiting for cron.

Hope this helps,
Mark