Running an URL from Alt+F2

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri May 21 02:13:21 CEST 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010 08:37:46 +0200
Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:

> On 30/03/2010 04:12, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> > With KDE, I could type an URL into the command runner and it would
> > open my default browser.  With Xfce at present, I need to preface
> > that with the browser command, "firefox."
> >
> > Is there a way of associating URLs with a browser?  Associating an
> > application with a file in Thunar is standard, but the command line
> > is different, regardless of the desktop.  I think that I read
> > somewhere about a launcher specifically for URLs?
>
> One way to do that would be to run “unknown” commands prefixed with
> exo-open in xfrun (or directly use the exo open in xfrun so any uri
> would work)
>
> Cheers,

Thanks Yves-Alexis.  I will try that.  KDE has an option under "Default
Applications", the same as Xfce's "Preferred Applications."  Perhaps
the two work differently, or the action in KDE's runner comes from
somewhere else.  It doesn't seem to have been inherited when I imported
my KDE emulation.

At the moment, the dropdown list in xfrun has the ones I use most,
and I select from the list.

Doug.