"switch users" - how do you do it?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Tue May 4 11:48:41 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> I'm sure this came up a while ago when discussing something else but I
> can't remember how to do it now (if it's possible that is).
>
> How do you switch users in xfce?  That is how do you switch from one X
> session to another and log in as a different user without closing
> everything down?

This is something done entirely by the display manager.

Assuming you run gdm, all you need is a way to instruct gdm to start a
new Xserver is a different VT for you, running "gdmflexiserver" will
do the job.

If you are not using gdm, then check the manual of the display manager
you use to find out how to achieve the same.

HTH,
Olivier.