maximize window not maximum

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Fri Mar 26 21:18:14 CET 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 01:24:07 am Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Left/right click on the maximize button on the title bar?
> >>
> >> Or use the key shortcuts.
> >
> > Left/right click the maximize button doesn't maximize the window.  That
> > portion of the screen along the bottom, where a panel was, but is no
> > longer, isn't covered by the window.
> >

> > screenshot (sorta):
> >

> > xxxx
> > xxxx
> >

> > The window, signified by the "x", covers most of the screen.  However,
> > the bottom portion of the monitor, signified by the ".", isn't covered by
> > the window.  Why?
>
> Sorry but I do not understand, why not posting a real screenshot on
> some website and giving the url so we can see what you mean?
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.
Do you want the maximised window to overwrite the bottom panel?  The bottom
panel is always visible, and no window covers it.  That is what "maximise"
normally means.  That was one reason why I went to only one panel.

An easier option has been mentioned: set the bottom panel to auto-hide.  Then
it is usually out of sight, and your window can use that space. You can bring
the panel back when you need it.

Doug.