[xfpm] status wrt. devkit-power/upower

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Tue Mar 9 10:56:14 CET 2010

Hey Yves-Alexis,

In 0.9.90 i tried to be smart and handle on runtime the presence of
devkit-power or upower, but this seems to be problematic, since these
backends are D-Bus services and not daemons.

I guess i will have to do that at compile time, so people with
devkit-power or upower can use xfpm...

The mess around HAL/devkit-power/upower and the problem about
org.freedesktop.PowerManagement standard that seems to be dropped are
not very good motivations for me, i'm pissed off from this situation,
instead of concentrating on usability issues i'm always trying to keep
xfpm compatible with all these mess, this is very very bad, specially
for people working on their software on their free time.

About org.freedesktop.PowerManagement, i sent a proposal on xdg mailing
list about trying to standardize the way that applications prevent the
power manager/screen saver from doing their work in bad moments, but as
usual, the discussion was unterminated with a lot of people trying to
show how much they are smart and aware of the problem...

I hope i will have time this week-end to work on xfpm and do a second
0.9 release, i also have other plans for Parole as well.

Cheers,
Ali.