Framing anything on screen

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Tue Mar 2 18:32:12 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 17:09:45 +0100
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there any app that does this, if not, is there a way to do this?
> > (i.e., generate an all-encompassing mask over the screen, including
> > panel, etc). One interesting solution would be to build it into the
> > screenshooter
>
> Can be trick for an app, but this is something the compositor could do
> since it's in charge of painting the screen.

Hello Olivier,

First, I hadn't enabled the compositor for a while, because it seems to
interfere with video playback. I just tried it again, and, at  first
sight, it works ok now.

I'll have a look at the compositor documentation, and see if there is a
way to cook up something. I still think it'd be a nice add-on for a
screenshooter - a double select, first the highlight, then the actual
cutoout.

For the others that replied: just using the compositor configuration
isn't an option, because is many cases the hightlight I want doesn't
coincide with the windows. I want to be free to select the highlight
independently (say, just the screenshot on the panel, or the close
button on the window decoration).

Thanks,
John