Terminal Flashes When Switching Workspaces

Joseph Spitz josephgrey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 08:25:37 CEST 2010

I installed xfce as my desktop on a system that I just upgraded to lucid
lynx ubuntu.  I have encountered an annoying problem.

When I switch to a workspace containing a terminal, the terminal window
will flash white as it is drawn to the screen.  I usually run terminals
full screen, so in that case, the whole screen flashes white when I switch
workspaces.

This also happens with gnome-terminal, and also when I switch the
window manager to metacity. It doesn't happen when I use compiz, becuase
it seems like compiz double-buffers the workspace switch.

This happens to me two laptops; One with intel video, and one with ati.

The workaround I've been using to point the GTK2_RC_FILES environment
variable to a dark theme when launching a terminal.

Are anyone elses terminals flashing white when switching workspaces?