Compiling xfce 4.6.2

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:05:59 CEST 2010

2010/6/8 John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com>:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2010 10:33:56 Nick Schermer wrote:
>> If you have no clue how tarballs works, please leave us out of it
> and
>> wait for your distribution to upgrade, so you can click a button in
>> some graphical package manager.
>>
> As previously stated I have been using tarballs for many years,
> perhaps since the late 1970s. I have been compiling programs
> since 1968. But today I expect a program package to be contained
> in one package and compilable with one command or a few
> commands, as previously indicated. For example I update and
> recompile Scribus svn nightly, using a brief script. That is not the
> case with XFCE.  I understand that the individual components can
> be compiled separately.  I am concerned that such piecemeal
> compilation would create conflicts with components not yet
> recompiled. If you can assure me that such conflicts won't happen
> between 4.6.1 and 4.6.2 I will proceed with the bits and pieces as
> time permits.

Initially this thread made me think the fat tarball could deserve a
README file, or be documented on the website. Nonetheless, if you pick
up each package it is straight forward to know what to do, except
figuring the depency order. More on that below.

Bear with us, website and documentation maintainance are something
that is simply lacking man power/motivation. The Xfce components that
you can build all have their own dependencies and there is a little
order to respect, as of Xfce 4.6 it is the one viewable on this
table[1], from top to bottom.

The libraries are ABI compatible, and if it breaks the version in
pkgconfig would be bumped and the compilation for additional packages
would refuse to build as long as the newly installed library version
is not found.

There have be for a long time many users who kept on building Xfce
themselves and some provide their scripts, aur packages, even binary
packages, Robby proposed you Slackware packages (he's been doing them
for years).

[1] http://www.xfce.org/documentation/requirements

--
Mike