Compiling xfce 4.6.2

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 08:32:41 CEST 2010

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 18:46:37 -0500
Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 19:40:20 -0400
> John Culleton <john at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > I am familiar with the "unzip ./configure make make install"
> > sequence for most source software. But xfce has me baffled. I
> > downloaded the bzip2 version, ran bunzip2 and found a baker's
> > dozen of additional bzip2 files in ./src. I don't find any configure
> > or cmake or any other aids to compilation. How does one go about
> > upgrading on a typical Linux system (Slackware 13.0)?
>

> I've got packages and sources here: http://rlworkman.net/pkgs/
>
> -RW

You really don't need anything more elegant than tar to open bz2
and other compressed files.  Here's my own short list:

Note: x= any filename:

Opening x.tar.bz2
tar xjvf x.tar.bz2

Opening x.tar.gz files:
tar xzvf x.tar.gz

Opening x.gz files:
Step 1: gunzip x.gz
Step 2: tar xvf x

Opening .tar files:
tar xvf x.tar

Refranes/Popular sayings:
The Taino say:
No hay mal que por bien no venga.
There is no evil out of which good cannot blossom.