xfce sound

Dirk Jakobsmeier dirk.jakobsmeier at web.de
Sun Jan 31 18:28:39 CET 2010

Hello all,

after all the configuration, sound is working now. But it seems that it
only works using pulseaudio. Otherwise if sound is enabled in xfce4
config you have to /sbin/alsa force-reload every time you are logged in.
Seems that xfce is locking the audio devices. I don´t know if i like
pulseaudio to run. But as i use compiz i have to search for a way to
make this use the xdg system (freedesktop.org).

Again many thanks for all the good informations.

Dirk

Am 30.01.2010 12:10, schrieb Dirk Jakobsmeier:
> Hello all,
>
> this is my first mail to this list, so forgive the disturbance ;-)).
>
> After having some bad trouble with kde (after over 10 years) with the
> new akonadi service (don´t accept to having it in use) i decided to use
> xfce again. I tried this several times bevor but always rejected it
> because of some missing features (only my opinion).
>
> I´ve installed the 4.6.1 version over my kubuntu distribution (will use
> xubuntu in the future) and added the cairo-dock (i really need some eye
> candy). I´ve looked for the ability to have system sounds. I´ve found
> several informations about this but did not get a clue if this is
> possible (beyond the login and logout sound or using startskripts for
> the apps). If not ok, but if yes i need a hint how to do this. I read
> about a hack on this but did not find a working solution.
>
> So could you please only tell me if it is possible or if not?
>
> Thanks for any answers in advance.
>
> Altogether xfce feels absolute handily. It works smooth, i found all the
> needed apps and it does not eat all my resources or forces me to use
> services i don´t want to run on my workstation. Thanks to the developers
> for this desktop.

   Dirk Jakobsmeier Friedrichshafen a.B.

      http://www.dirk-jakobsmeier.de

                   GnuPG: