xfce4-power-management: lid issue

Robin diilbert.atlantis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 13:13:29 CET 2010

I figured would break this one into it's own thread.  The lid/suspend
event works on my Toshiba Satellite almost 50% of the time.  I think
it is possible it is an ACPI clitch, but maybe not.  After doing a
little research I found out that the current lid state is stored at:
/proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state.

So I ran some simple tests:

1)  After a fresh boot:
cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state gives me:
State: open

2) Close (successful suspend) and Reopen the lid:
cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state gives me:
State: closed

3) Close the lid (failure to suspend the laptop) and reopen
cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state gives me:
State: open

4) Close (successful suspend) and Reopen the lid:
cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state gives me:
State: closed

I repeated this several times to make sure the pattern is consistent.

Any thoughts?  I do not mind as I make sure the laptop is suspend, but
wife does not.  So if it does not suspend, she will later wonder why
the battery is dead.

And behavior modification is out as a solution.

Thanks!

Robin