Enabling 3D? Empty tips?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:14:39 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Robby Workman <rw at rlworkman.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:41:58 -0800
> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 1) This is very new hardware - an Intel DH55HC motherboard coupled
>> with an i5-661 processor. X is up and functional but I don't know how
>> to determine within XFCE whether I'm running in framer buffer mode (I
>> don't think I am) or whether I'm running native, and if native whether
>> I've enabled everthing I can to get the best graphics performance.
>> This is not a gaming machine VGA but I do want to get the most out of
>> it. What can I do to test?
>

> On any recent distribution, the autodetected settings and such
> should be optimal.  If everything seems to be working, then I'd
> suggest leaving well enough alone.  :-)

Logically that would suggest that if certain effects were on XFCE
would find them, but if they were off XFCE wouldn't look.

I was trying to see if XFCE could __tell__ me that certain effects,
like compositing, was working by actually showing me transparent
windows or something else fancy. So fat everything is very plain. If I
turn on transparency in terminal I do see my desktop so that much
works, but am I using everything my graphics adapter - which is new,
built into the Intel processor, and not well documented yet, is
capable of? I don't know.