GTK 2.18, GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS, and Xfce

Mark Kane mark at mkproductions.org
Sun Jan 17 04:14:29 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010, at 18:05:26 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Do you have compositing enabled with xfwm4?  If so, does disabling it
> fix the problem?
>
> FWIW, I do have compositing enabled with xfwm4, and I've been running
> gtk 2.18 for months now with no problems.  Yes, I do use Terminal.  So
> while I can't see how this would (or should) make a difference, it
> could be a useful data point.

Hi.

I do not have compositing enabled in xfwm4. I tried with it enabled
just to see and there is basically no change, only a slightly different
looking corruption which has some transparency through to the window
underneath rather than being completely solid.

> Can you try quitting all Terminal instances, then open an xterm (or
> some other terminal program), and run:
>
> ps ax|grep -i '[t]erminal'
>
> If anything shows up in this list, you didn't quit all running
> terminal instances.  Be sure they're all gone, and then:
>
> export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
> Terminal
>
> See if this new instance of Terminal still has problems.

With all Terminal instances verified closed and XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS
set to 1 there is no real change in the corruption. I tried a couple
times just to be sure and on on one try it looked a bit different
than the previous screenshot:

http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/terminal_corruption_XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS_1.png

Here are a few other screenshots of other applications where this is
occurring within Xfce:

http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/xfwm4-settings_corruption.png
http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/claws_corruption_1.png
http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/claws_corruption_2.png
http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/midori_corruption.png
http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/glabels_corruption_1.png

I tested Terminal, Midori, and Claws in twm/Awesome earlier today and
they did not have corruption there, and it didn't happen in GTK+ 2.16 so
it doesn't *seem* to be video driver related (this is the radeon driver
in Xorg 7.4 by the way), but I could be wrong or missing something with
the differences in how those window managers may operate.

Thanks for the reply and info,

-Mark

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MarkK)