Multiple xfdesktops running, and very slow startup

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Jan 15 17:43:32 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 02:25:40PM -0200, Célio Ishikawa wrote:
>    2010/1/15 Ali Abdallah <[1]aliov at xfce.org>
>      On 01/15/2010 11:44 AM, Chris G wrote:
>
>            ** (update-notifier:3002): DEBUG: error during dbus call: The name
>        org.debian.apt was not provided by any .service files
>
>      The update service 'org.debian.apt' is missing, update-notifier applet
>      is trying to connect to this service, using a D-Bus call, depending on
>      the timeout specified by the update-notifieron this call, it may block
>      for some time, but not up to several minutes, well try to disable this
>      from the autostarted applications  and see if the login speed is better.
>
>    Just to comment: I removed my update-notifier and the system speeded up

Strangely I only see these errors when I get the slow login, in other
words the system is *so* slow in this case that the update-notifier is
timing ou waiting for things.

When I login later (i.e. I tried it just now after the system had been
powered up for a couple of hours) there are no update-notifier error
messages and the load average stays down way below 1, mostly at 0.14
this time.

As I said I don't think it's anything to do with xfce or X startup
it's just that something is loading the system very heavily at boot
time and it takes a while for the system to recover completely.

--
Chris Green