Desktop sounds

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 16 14:49:00 CET 2010

Am Dienstag, den 16.02.2010, 22:49 +1100 schrieb Doug Laidlaw:
> I reported a few weeks ago that I had found a desktop setting to turn
> off sounds generally, but it no longer seems to exist.

What does it mean? Where was this setting?

> I found this link in the Xfce News:
>
> http://blog.xfce.org/2008/10/event-sounds-in-xfce-44-46/
>
> It suggests that the only fix is to downgrade my distro.

Not your distro but a single package, libcanberra. And this only applies
to Xfce 4.4. Are you sure you have the old version and not Xfce 4.6?
What disto do you use?

> Did I imagine the setting? At the moment, even hovering my mouse over
> a button or icon is enough to cause a sound.

I'm pretty sure this is not caused by Xfce because there never have been
any hover sounds.

> In practice, it makes Xfce unusable.
>
> Doug.

Regards,