Xfce under VNC

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Mon Feb 15 16:36:52 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm having trouble starting an Xfce session under VNC.  This used
to work prior to upgrading to 4.6.1 (from either 4.2.x or 4.4.x,
not sure which).  Since I run Xfce on my console, I need a different
configuration in VNC.  Here's my .vnc/xstartup:

   #!/bin/sh

   export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/users/djc/.config2
   export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/users/djc/.cache2
   unset  SESSION_MANAGER
   startxfce4 &

When starting VNC, I get the following in the log file and Xfce does
not start in the VNC X server:

   ** ERROR **: Another session manager is already running
   aborting...
   Aborted

Any clues what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems             Austin, TX