Remote sessions

Andrew andrew at alangdondavies.es
Thu Feb 11 09:34:20 CET 2010

Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is it possible to start an Xfce session on a remote machine and
> display it on the local machine? Do I need an X display manager for
> this? Does Xfce provide one?
There are infinite variables involved. On a Slackware system I have the
following line in the client's /etc/fstab:

x:4:wait:/usr/bin/Xorg -query 192.168.0.10

xdm runs on the server (192.168.0.10) and provides the client with a
login screen. This requires that you comment out the last line in
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config. This is my way; there are others, depending on
your setup.

HTH
Andrew