xfce4 startup appears to override my xmodmap keyboard settings

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 8 19:48:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:54:55AM -0700, David Mohr wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> >> Search the list archives, there has been discussion about this before.
> >>
> > Er, *how* do I search the archives?  There appears to be no search
> > function at http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/.
>
> Missing search functionality sucks, that's true. It might be because
> pipermail's search is not good to begin with? Anyone have a clue?
>
> Anyway, you can always revert to the google, and search for:
>   site:http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/ xmodmap

The threads that brings up don't sound like the issue that I have,
none of them talk about the xfce keyboard set-up effectively
overwriting what xmodmap has done.  This is almost certainly what is
happening to me IMHO as it makes no difference at all where you run
xmodmap from, if it's run before xfce4 completes its startup then the
keyboard settings are lost.

E.g. if I run xmodmap from my .xprofile I get the mouse set up but
lose the keyboard setup.  If I do *exactly* the same (i.e. run it from
.xprofile) but with a delay then both the mouse setup and the keyboard
setup work.   It has to be something that xfce (or other things that
happen soon after X starts) is doing to the keyboard effectively
overwrites what xmodmap has done.

All the above threads refer to bugs that prevent xmodmap from working
properly, in my case it does work properly but then its work is undone
by something.

--
Chris Green