OT: claws (was: OT: xfce sound)

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Sat Feb 6 03:21:04 CET 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 4:31 PM, J. Anthony Limon <j at flippo.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:21:33 -0500
> "Peter N. Spotts" <pspotts at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>> > Just wondering:  how does claws-mail stack up against Mozilla
>> > Thunderbird?
>> >
>> > DR
>>

>> I've used both and like various aspects of each; my recommendation
>> would be to load up and try both. Claws Mail will import from and
>> export to mbox-type files (Thunderbird's format). So you should be
>> able to freely shift from one to the other once your own experience
>> tells you which you prefer.
>>
>> With best regards,
>>
>> Pete
>>

> >From a technical prospective, Claws is amazing. But, it does take some
> configuring to LOOK nice, but there are lots of great themes that will
> fit almost any GTK theme. (Note: It only themes the icons, the widgets
> are native GTK unlike Thunderbird.)

Really? Last time I tried claws out, it didn't even have a
multithreaded interface, and hung there while trying to connect to the
mail server. And since I was trying to use the account the first time
over IMAP, I didn't see any folders, and couldn't find the place where
to subscribe to them...

It was rather painful. But granted, I haven't looked at claws in some
time, so things might very well have changed.

~David