How to change/edit menus in xfce4 on xubuntu 9.10

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Thu Feb 4 16:55:04 CET 2010

On 04/02/2010 16:45, Chris G wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 04:42:03PM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>> On 04/02/2010 15:41, Chris G wrote:
>>> I'm quite happy to edit things directly if necessary.
>>
>> Look in /usr/share/applications to get the correct .desktop file.
>>
> I did that, there isn't one for AisleRiot.  I *guess* therefore the
> menu must be generated from the 'old style' /usr/share/menu/aisleriot,
> however that is as follows:-
>
>     ?package(aisleriot):needs="X11" section="Games/Card" \
>             title="Gnome Solitaire Games" command="/usr/games/sol" \
>             icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/aisleriot.xpm"
>     ?package(aisleriot):needs="X11" section="Games/Card" \
>             title="Gnome FreeCell" command="/usr/games/sol --variation freecell" \
>             icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/freecell.xpm"
>
> So is supposed to generate two entries.

On Debian (and thus Ubuntu), you may have two menus. The freedesktop.org
menu and the Debian (Ubuntu) menu, which predates the fd.o one, and is
beginning to be slightly deprecated (but is supported by quite some
window manager in Debian/Ubuntu).

So it'd help if you told us in which menu it appears (and wether the
'menu' package is installed).

Not sure how the menu are organised in Ubuntu, but in Debian we have the
Xfce (fd.o) menu at root (where you have submenus like Accessories,
Graphics, Multimedia etc. with icons), then a submenu called Debian (so
maybe Ubuntu for you) where you have categories (without icons).

The first one is autogenerated at runtime using /usr/share/applications
and .local/share/applications .desktop files. The latter is generated
when applications are installed, using files from /usr/share/menu/

Hope that helps,
--
Yves-Alexis