XFCE starts as root w/o login screen

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Wed Feb 3 02:51:02 CET 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:19:05 am Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Mark Neis <neismark at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > thanks for taking the time to answer.
> >
> > You said:
> >> Since XFCE is only the desktop, your problem is further up, or back.
> >
> > That's exactly my problem. I'm not sure where to look.
> > My understanding so far has been that the display manager asks for a
> > login. Hence I should probably try to install and start xdm...
> >
> >> You need to have a user account in the OS, and login as that user.
> >
> > I do have a user account on the system (I created one), but finding a
> > way to make the system require a login beats me. It does on the
> > console (i. e. on a different tty), but not when starting X.
> >
> >> http://fos.foxconn.com/index.php?lanmu_id=44
> >
> > Documentation about FoxOS is virtually non-existent. I also tried
> > Fedora, but as they use Gnome or KDE by default, that didn't take me any
> > further, either.
> >

> > Mark
>
> What's in your /etc/inittab file? I have a couple of machine I do
> auto-login setups on by modifying that file. Maybe these FoxOS guys
> did something like that?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>
> !DSPAM:4b68b44c242661217717823!

But before you decide about the login, you need to have a user.  /etc/inittab
decides whether your display is text-only (level 3) or graphical (level 5).
It doesn't create any users.  A proper login needs an xdm or similar file,
although KDE allows you to bypass it. There should be a configurator somewhere,
but since I run Mandriva, I don't know where to look.  Run "less /etc/passwd";
that will show you which users are known to the system.  If you weren't
invited to create a user, there probably isn't one.  If a user such as "guest"
is listed, you should be able to log in as that.

This is not an Xfce problem.  You need a forum for the OS.  There is a
"Support" link on the Web page I gave you; I am not going to do any more of
your homework for you.

Doug.