setting default applications

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 18:33:23 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM, NW <senex at drofle.com> wrote:
> I have just installed truecrypt on my laptop (Mint v 9) and tested it.
> (I have used it before.) I found that, although I could mount the
> truecrypt file I could not open it. It was looking for Nautilus, which
> is a program I have never used and was not installed. So I installed it
> and now it works.
>
> This made me  wonder, why is it looking for Nautilus and why can't I
> tell it which program to use.? I know that I can select which are my
> preferred applications but only the browser and the mail client. Is
> there any way to set up other preferences please, such as text editor
> and file manager?

I am not sure how truecrypt works, but I would suspect that it is
hardcoded (or configured) to look for Nautilus. Generally, in Xfce you
can open Thunar and for a given filetype you can right-click >
properties and set the default programme. Another idea would be to
check Gigolo if it supports truecrypt; it should fire up Thunar when
mounting the device.

Regards
Liviu