Improved xkbbell Support?

Paul DeStefano paul.destefano at willamettealumni.com
Wed Dec 1 03:17:41 CET 2010

Hello Xfce,

 	Thanks for making my favorite window manager and desktop
environment.

 	The current implementation of the Xfce desktop on Fedora lacks any
support for the xkbbell event's I've come to depend on over many years.
Ubuntu seems to be using the x11 modules for pulseaudio, but the Fedora
maintainers and the PulseAudio maintainers say this is a terrible idea.
I've reported the problem to Fedora bugzilla, but my bug has already been
passed from the Xfce group to the pa group and now to the KDE group and I
get the feeling it may not work out very well.
 	Considering the trend to pulseaudio and the absence of PC speakers
in many modern systems, are there plans to provided support for xkbbell
events in Xfce?  Specifically, I'm asking that xkbbell be mapped into the
active event sound scheme so it can be handled and configured like all the
other sounds that already work with pulseaudio.

Thank you,
Paul