ANNOUNCE: xfce4-power-manager 0.8.4 released

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Tue Sep 29 10:29:00 CEST 2009

On mar, 2009-09-29 at 10:12 +0000, Ali Abdallah wrote:
> I just arrived from my vacation (i think this is the cause of the
> time
> problem). I didn't have time to think about the battery-plugin, for me
> of course i will be happy to merge it, i remember that Nick agreed on
> that, but Brian was against since anybody wants to use the battery
> plugin has to install xfpm, for this there is two options:
>
> 1) Split xfpm to xfpm and xfpm-plugins, but this will end up having
> duplicated code (the code in libxfpm).

Yeah, not really good.

> 2) having an option in xfpm to build only the panel plugins, strange
> option, i never saw a package like that before.

Hmhm, yeah, maybe not.

> So i would say i'm ready to merge it whenever everybody is happy with
> that.

TBH, the battery plugin is just not maintained nowadays. There was a
hal_based branch at one point but there wasn't any release. Having a
battery plugin inside xfpm might benefit for xfpm (imho it's really
painful not being able to display battery percentage atm).

It may be worth still having a standalone “simple” battery plugin, but
as the previous one can't deal with multiple batteries and the new
hal_based is not released…

What do you think?

--
Yves-Alexis