Help needed

Prabhu Ramamoorthy rrprabhu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:25:03 CEST 2009

Thank you very much Olivier.

That does lend some clarity. Again I had one small question.

How do you set the motif hints? In my case the application is a java
application. So do you have access to the motif hints through a java
motif toolkit or a library
Or
Could I use a program like devilspie which actually runs in the
background and overrides the hints that the application sends with a
new one so that the window manager understands.

I am picking up things slowly along the way.  Again I apologize for
the list of questions as I am trying to catch up to speed on how
things work.

Thanks  & Regards,
Prabhu

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 6:19 AM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Raghavendra Prabhu <rrprabhu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for the response.
>>
>> Yes Olivier did point me out to the source code that has the flag. I
>> was following Olivier's instructions and trying to track the source
>> code out for a higher level input parameter passing which may finally
>> lead to a configuration file.
>>
>> So would the solution be to rebuild the xfwm4 with the flag disabled
>> already in the code and then use the built binary as the window
>> manager in my case? Would this be the fix?
>
> Not at all you do not need to change xfwm4. And it's definitely not an
> option in xfwm4.
>
> What you need to change is your application, so it sets the Motif
> hints properly that xfwm4 understands.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Cell: 917 639 6050