using 'printf' in a script in terminal window

Ambrose LI ambrose.li at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 06:40:23 CET 2009

2009/11/21 Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com>:
> Out of morbid curiosity, what OS are you using? I have only tried on a
> few other than FreeBSD; however, they all seem to work the same.
> Obviously, that is at the console and not in an "X" session. So far, it
> never works in "X".
>
> As I stated previously, 'clear' causes a problem when used in
> conjunction with CRON. While I can, and have, circumvented the problem,
> I prefer not to have to.

The problem here is, "clear" should NOT cause a problem in cron, because
cron is supposed to provide cron jobs with a TERM set to "dumb" or
equivalent, which should cause "clear" to output "\f". So if "clear" is
outputting something else, then I don't think it is a bug in clear, but a
bug or misconfiguration in cron

--
cheers,
-ambrose