using 'printf' in a script in terminal window

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 18:14:04 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:32:48 +0100
Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> replied:

> I tested it on Terminal, Konsole, and finally xterm, none of those
> clear the screen. And if xterm isn't doing pretty much nobody does it.
>
> Why don't you use `clear'?

This would appear to be a "by design" feature; although I cannot fathom
why. Using 'clear' is fine as long as the script is not used via CRON.
'Clear' produces strange output with scripts run via CRON. I know that
there are ways to program around that; however, it does complicate
things. I prefer the "KISS" approach.

Although it probably would not make any appreciable difference, I
might appeal to the developers to change this behavior.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

LIGHTHOUSE:
	A tall building on the seashore in which the government
	maintains a lamp and the friend of a politician.