using 'printf' in a script in terminal window

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 13:20:43 CET 2009

SYSTEM: FreeBSD-7.2
Xfce 4 Desktop Environment version 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
GNU bash, version 4.0.35(0)-release (i386-portbld-freebsd7.2)
Terminal 0.2.12

I am not sure whose problem, currently mine, this is.

I write numerous scripts that I frequently test in an x-terminal. In
this specific case, Terminal 0.2.12 on my system. When I use the
'printf "\f"' command in a script at a regular console, it clears the
screen as it is suppose to. Under an x-terminal; however, it only
forces a single line feed. That would be equivalent to using 'printf
"\n"'.

I am not sure why it is doing this, whether by design, ignorance on my
part, or a design flaw (bug). In any case, it makes testing scripts
that I write extremely difficult.

Is there something I can do to correct this behavior, or perhaps
someone (place) I could report this behavior?

Thanks!

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

	Beckett