restore screen resolution?

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 07:41:12 CET 2009

2009/11/20 John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com>:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:32:24 -0800
> Randy Dunlap <rdunlap at xenotime.net> wrote:
>
>> > For reference, using xfconf-query would have been the better solution,
>> > but the result would be the same.
>>
>> But I can't do that in text mode, before X is running, can I?
>
> Actually it _is_ a commandline tool. I didn't know about it. On
> the other hand, I'm not sure if it's easier. I got to
>
> xfconf-query -c displays -p /Default/Screen_0/Resolution
>
> which returns 1440x900, but couldn't make from the help how to set a new
> value (there is no man-page). Maybe just adding it to the line (didn't
> want to test that).

xfconf-query --help

Either set a new value with -s <VALUE>, or better reset the value
(delete it) with a simple -r like:

  xfconf-query -c displays -p /Default/Screen_0/Resolution -r

> But I had more work finding out how to do the above, than to do a search
> for 1440 in the .config dir. A slightly more interactive command would be
> welcome.

I started once a small page, it is very incomplete, but, it sums up a
little about that tool: http://wiki.xfce.org/settings4.6. There is a
graphical tool available, xfce4-settings-editor, otherwise.

--
Mike