How to install Xfce from source to local prefix

Juha kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Wed Nov 18 08:37:45 CET 2009

Mike Massonnet kirjoitti:
> 2009/11/17 Juha <kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi>:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>> I have been trying to install Xfce 4.6.1 to my new Ubuntu 9.10 system into
>> /usr/local/xfce, but failing miserably with:
>> Unable to determine failsafe session name.  Possible causes: xfconfd isn't
>> running (D-Bus setup problem); environment variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set
>> incorrectly (must include "/usr/local/xfce/etc"), or xfce4-session is
>> installed incorrectly.
>> When trying to start xfce4-session. Yes, it is true that xfconfd is not
>> running, but does anybody
>> know how and where DBUS should be setup so that xfconfd would run
>> automatically?
>>

> You just need to have dbus installed, independant of the prefix.

It is installed and works fine; except that it does not start xfconfd.
Surely there must be something that tells dbus where Xfce config
files are?

>> I have set
>> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg:/usr/local/xfce/etc/xdg
>>

> It shouldn't be /usr/local/xfce/etc/xdg, but just /usr/local/etc/xdg.

I do not have that directory at all, so how could that help?

>> If I run
>> /usr/local/xfce/libexec/xfconfd
>> before xfce4-session I do not get errors.
>>

> Don't try to run xfce4-session, you must use the startxfce4 script
> that will run all the needed pieces.

startxfce4 script stops with the error mentioned earlier when xfce4-session
can't communicate with xfconfd. It is not possible to start Xfce at all
by using
the script. The script does not start xfconfd. I added call to it and
got things
working, but I do not believe this is how it is supposed to work.